Thursday, February 20, 2014

100 Rupee Monk

In 2005, I trekked around and into the Annapurna Mountain Range in Nepal for some weeks. It still stands as the best trek ever. On the way to the Thorung La pass most people stay one day or two extra in Manang to get acclimatized. One of those days I went up to a Tsam Kang, which is a small hut/grass hut/cave intended for a single practitioner of meditation. In this Tsam Kang lived a lama which has been nicknamed the "100 Rupee Monk" by trekkers. You got to visit him for a donation of 100 Rupee while he waved his arms and murmured his blessings for you not get sick on your way over the 5416 meters high pass. He ends the ceremony with giving you a colorful thread necklace.

On the day I visited, his wife (?) was around and found the whole thing quite amusing (as you can see in the picture). As far as I know the monk is still around, but I doubt he still does the ceremonies because of declining health and age (some says he is almost 100 years old). And did the ceremony and necklace help? Well, I don't know, but I have never been more fit and acclimatized on any other pass..

In contrast to many other people I didn't donate any "selfie" to the monk

No comments:

Post a Comment